Friday, January 17, 2014

Tutorial: How to add text & graphics to frames, tags & clipart in Photoshop Elements


Hello everybody! Last year I wanted to write up some tutorials & design tips on how to use my graphics & digital paper packs but...that happened one time. Ugh. So here's to a new year and a fresh start! :)

One of the questions I get frequently is how to add text and/or graphics to my frame & tag clipart sets so I'm going to show you how I made the following design:


To start, I'm using Photoshop Elements as I've found that is a program most of my customers have access to. If you don't have it you can find it on the Adobe website. I'm also using the following:

Yellow chevron circle from my Yellow/Blue/Green Circle Frame Clipart Set
Blue flower from my Monkey Clipart Set

You can start by opening a new file in Photoshop Elements in your desired size, but I started this design by just opening the yellow chevron circle directly in PSE.


From there I added a new layer. You can do this by either clicking on the little box (circled in red, below) in the layers box or by choosing the command of "layers, new, layer" from the toolbar at the top of the screen.


After adding my new layer I choose the text tool from the commands on the left hand side of the page (the little "T" icon) and then typed in the wording I wanted to use and then selected my fonts. After that I clicked on the text so a little box came up around it and I could resize it as needed. Make sure when you resize you "constrain proportions" so nothing gets stretched funny. Then click the little green checkmark when you have your wording all set. 

After this I decided I would like to add a graphic so I went to the "file, place" commands from the top toolbar and chose my graphic.


This automatically will add a new layer. 


I then resized my flower graphic the same way I resized the text. From there I also moved the flower up to the top of the circle and then I moved my text down. You can move these layers by clicking on your graphic(s)/text and using your arrow keys or mouse to move these layers up/down into place.

And here's the final outcome!


I resaved this new file in PSD format so I could make changes at a later date. I also saved it in PNG format so I could upload it to my blog for this tutorial. 

If you want to use these graphics for things like monthly onesie stickers or items you personalize, I would recommend first starting a new file in your desired size and then going to "file, place" to add your circle/frame graphic to the new document and then proceed with the rest of the steps for adding text & other graphics. 

I hope this is helpful!
post signature